About Me

My photo
Huntington Beach, California, United States
Sewer, cooker, full time day jobber, mom of two. Maybe if I wasn't so busy with all this I'd have time to sleep!

5.21.2007

Like a sponge I tell you!

It's always amazing to me how much knowledge kids absorb. My son who is now four, is a walking animal dictionary. He can name the animal, tell you what it eats, it's habits, so on and so on. Beware, you can easily get caught up in a half hour conversation about a Triceratops diet, how tall a Parasaurolophus was (I had to look at the computer to spell it, it has taken me a good year to know how to pronounce it), the list goes on and on. If you would ask him how he wanted to spend his day, he would pick the Zoo, Sea World, a Dinosaur Museum.

Last week we took the kids the the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. Like always, I had to document the journey with my tiny point and shoot (hence the quality). Owen was busting at the seams, he couldn't wait. He's in a completely different world when we visit, rambling on about sharks, giant lobsters, octopuses........you name it, he will tell you.

Of course I think he is the smartest four year old in the universe, but I'm sure other mothers can debate that. I just love looking at the world through his eyes, and because of him I now know things like why flounders have both eyes on one side of their body.

-Here is your Owen fact for the day: A flounder isn't born with both eyes on one side of it's body. It goes through a metamorphosis where one eye migrates to the other side of it's body, so both eyes are on one side facing up. They do this so they can lay flat and blend in with the ocean floor while eating crustaceans and small fish. (Yes he did say metamorphosis and migrate, I didn't even know those words were in his vocabulary!)

Here is Owen looking oh so cool on his way the the Aquarium


Here is Emma's idea of cool


This was the hit of the day. The kids got to feed the Rainbow Lorikeets.


I know this is blurry, but it makes me laugh for some reason.








Here, Owen was giving Emma a quick 5 minute session on the life of a ray.


1 comments:

DrewB said...

I agree. Owen is the smartest 4 year old in the world!